Malvern House London > Blog > English Tips > Which 20 actions should you take to prepare yourself for a job interview?
Which 20 actions should you take to prepare yourself for a job interview?
- November 27, 2019
- Posted by: Prayush Piya
- Category: English Tips
Congratulations on being asked to attend an interview! You’re nearly there!
Now, how can you make sure you impress the interviewer and get offered the job?
Research and prepare well before the interview!
In the weeks before the interview you should:
- Make sure you’ve emailed to confirm you will attend the interview
- ‘Clean up’ your social media. Recruiters may well look at your Facebook/Instagram profiles
- Research the company thoroughly so you can show you’re really interested in working for this specific company…and didn’t just send your CV off to anyone!
- Research the interviewer on LinkedIn if possible so you know what to expect and can see what you have in common…but don’t look like a stalker!
- Brainstorm questions you might be asked and think about your answers (without memorising because this might make you nervous and will seem unnatural!)
- Have details of your referees – or even printed references/testimonials themselves – to take with you
- Prepare facts and figures you can mention to demonstrate your past achievements in roles
- Role-play the interview with friends or family. Make sure they ask you surprising/challenging questions
- Prepare questions to ask the interviewer at the end of the interview
- Check your travel route to the interview. Have a ‘plan B’ in case trains are delayed etc.
In the hours/minutes before:
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Have a decent breakfast
- Check your route – are there transport delays you need to be aware of?
- Leave early so you aren’t stressed. You can always wait in a nearby café.
- Print out several up-to-date copies of your CV to take
- Pack an umbrella with you, breath mints, deodorant, pen and notebook
- Dress professionally and look clean and tidy
- Greet the receptionist/security staff warmly
- Turn your phone to silent
- Walk tall, shake hands and don’t forget to smile!